Remember those old urban legends about how roaches in Taco Bell’s meat laid eggs inside an unlucky partaker’s mouth and then baby roaches were born in a human cheek incubator? Remember having bad dreams about it and then having your mom tell you it was just a nightmare and that the story wasn’t true? Well, guess what? Dreams really do come true, everyone.
According to the BBC, a British woman began with a headache and ended up on a surgical table getting a mass of eight large maggots removed from her brain. Apparently, a fly had landed inside and deposited its eggs into Rochelle Harris’ ear. Yeah, that’s right.
So what? You think. Just make sure to shoo the flies away. No. Not so fast. It gets worse. Harris shooed the fly away, but apparently it had already injected its flesh-eating babies in a matter of seconds. SECONDS.
Harris is fine and doctors do not think there will be any lasting damage, but still — THERE WERE MAGGOTS EATING THEIR WAY INTO HER BRAIN. I’m not being facetious when I wonder how Harris can ever sleep again after an experience like that.
Others are also apparently worried about the safety of their own ears, too. Mail Online UK was so shocked that it put part of its headline in caps for emphasis (see below). We are all freaking out about this.
Previously from Laura Creel:
♦ On Never Getting to be Tina Fey, and Why That’s Alright
♦ Shared Narrative: An Interview with Melanie Penn and Kelly Jones
♦ Not Cool, CUNY and David Petraeus
♦ Let’s Hear It for the Food Trucks!
♦ Recently-Discovered Mayan Civilization Teaches Us Something About Ethics